18 May 2024,   11:32
more
Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan are cooperating to remove all the barriers and make the Middle Corridor even more attractive - Irakli Garibashvili

Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan are cooperating to remove all the barriers and make the Middle Corridor even more attractive. Such a statement made today the Prime Minister of Georgia at a joint press conference with Prime Minister of Kazakhstan Alikhan Smailov.

“We discussed the planned projects that will further strengthen the existing strategic cooperation between our countries. I would also like to touch on the issue of the Middle Corridor, which was and is one of the main issues to be discussed between our countries. In November 2022, we signed a tripartite memorandum.

We are involved in this project together with Azerbaijan. Georgia, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan are cooperating to remove all the barriers and make the Middle Corridor even more attractive, including for the countries of Central Asia, China, and the Asian countries in general, so that more cargo can come through this route. We have a specific roadmap that we have already agreed with Kazakhstan, this is a 5-year plan, until 2027. We know exactly what Georgia, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan should do.

We are now making significant investments in the direction of railway modernization, which will be completed very soon and will double the capacity of our railways. We also have other important projects planned in this direction, we are also working on the construction of a new port.

I personally informed Mr. Prime Minister that our Government is ready to build a new port, the deep-sea port of Anaklia, and the works will start this year, in autumn, around October, 51% will be owned by the Government of Georgia, and we are going to hold a significant negotiations on the remaining 49%”, - said Irakli Garibashvili.

MORE HEADLINES