28 November 2022,   21:31
more
UN Rights Office says evidence growing of Mariupol mass graves

The head of the U.N. human rights team in Ukraine said on Friday that monitors had received more information about mass graves in the besieged port city of Mariupol, including one that appeared to hold 200 bodies, writes Reuters.

“We have got increasing information on mass graves that are there”, - Matilda Bogner told journalists, saying some of the evidence came from satellite images.

The U.N. rights office has so far counted 1,035 civilian deaths since Russia invaded on Feb. 24. But verification difficulties meant that toll included “very few” from Mariupol, which has been under heavy bombardment for weeks, Bogner said.

“The extent of civilian casualties and the destruction of civilian objects strongly suggests that the principles of distinction, of proportionality, the rule on feasible precautions and the prohibition of indiscriminate attacks have been violated”, - she added.

A Reuters journalist who reached a part of Mariupol held by Russian forces on Sunday saw several bodies lying by the road and a group of men digging graves in a patch of grass by the roadside.

MORE HEADLINES